February 9, 2017

The weather wasn’t the greatest for our last meeting but we had a few venture out.

Due to a scheduling conflict with the church there will be no workshop for the month of February.

At our next meeting on March 9th, we need to start to lock down details for our sewing class on April 29th. We have had some interest from people who want to attend. If you know of someone who is interested, please try to get them to commit so we can get an accurate count. I would hate to have to turn people away. If we can get them to commit, we may not need to advertise it in the paper. April 13th regular meeting we will make final decisions.

For the beginners sewing class on April 29th the class will run from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. We will need to be there for set up by 8:30 a.m.  We will need to decide what we will do for lunch for ourselves and maybe we can have a discussion as to how we think the class went. Marcella is in charge of the groundwork for the class and she is being helped by Rachenea. I'm sure if you have any ideas for them they will be grateful. Class size is limited to 10 with ages from 10 and up. Sign up is required.

I talked to Bob James from the New Haven Methodist Church and he still wants to do a quilt show. I will keep in contact with him for more details.

Pat passed out our February BOM and it is Valentine’s day themed. What the members have completed so far are really turning out nice. If  you want to participate you will need to attend the meeting or workshop to get the next month's block.

Some members have passed out their fabrics for the paper pieced signature block for our Christmas exchange for 2017. This is a friendship signature block. Each member will provide enough fabric in their color choice to complete this block. You will need to place this fabric in a ziploc baggie and write your name on the outside. Each member will provide a baggie for each member that is participating. For example if there are 5 members participating, including yourself, you would need to provide 4 bags (you wouldn't need one for yourself).

We had a couple show and tells for the evening.


Doesn't Martha's table runner look like a garden?


The back is just as pretty.


Another quilt by Martha. This one has a scalloped edge.


Pat was cleaning out her stash with this one.


Pat used a mystery quilt pattern for this Dot to Dot pattern.

So that's it for this meeting. See you all on March 9th.

Chris


January 12, 2017

New year, new officers, well a couple changes anyway.  President - Chris Porter, V. Pres. - Marcia Letterly, - Sec. - Martha Hecock, Treas. - Yvonne Westover, Media Coordinator - Malrene Stevens, Facebook and blogger - Chris Porter.

A few things were discussed as we start the new year. Since we have funds to run us for the next year, we decided to take off this year from doing a raffle quilt. We can still work on quilts for Teen Challenge and we also decided to make a variety of sizes of quilt to have on hand in case there is a family in need. These we can work on at the workshops or if you want to work on them on your own, feel free to do this. I know we all have an abundance of scraps just waiting for that scrappy quilt that has been rattling around in the back of your minds.

The signature block paper pieced pattern was passed out at the meeting. So far we have 7 that are participating. If you weren't able to attend and still want to participate, let us know and we'll have extra patterns available at the next workshop on the 28th and at the next regular meeting on
February 9th. These will be exchanged at the Christmas meeting in December. You need to have enough fabrics to complete the block in a plastic baggie with your name on the outside. Since we have 7 people participating, you need 6 baggies, one for each member not including yourself. If we add people to the project you will have to make up a baggie for them also. I myself made up a couple extra just in case. Don't forget to put your name, date and New London Quilt Guild in the blank spaces provided on the block. Here's a picture of the one I completed minus my signature.




You may want to label your fabrics as to the position you want them to be in. Here's how I did mine. I wrote the number of the piece on a sticker and put it on the back of the fabric.



The BOM that Pat has been working on was also passed out at the meeting. These are to be made and presented at the next month's gathering. Each month is seasonal according to month. We have January and here is Pat's version.


You can do this anyway you want, embroidered, applique. We will have patterns available at the workshop on the 28th. February's will be passed out at the meeting on the 9th.

For the workshops starting on January 28th we will be sorting fabric for the April workshop beginners sewing class. We will need to cut pieces for a nine patch block that will be our project and coordinating fabrics. Or you can bring your machine to work on a Teen Challenge quilt or a scrappy quilt to have on hand for emergencies as stated previously. This will be the plan for the subsequent workshops until after April. Lunch for the January workshop is brown bag.

We had discussed doing a quilt show at the New Haven Methodist church with their pastor and art director. We are unable to get a definite answer for now but I will check again in February. They didn't seem to think we would be able to do one this spring. 

We have a conflict of dates for the February 25th workshop. The church is having a seminar for 5 weeks and will be using the fellowship hall and kitchen for February. We will need to decide if we want to cancel or move the meeting to March 1st, the church will be available that Saturday.

For the beginners sewing class on April 29th the class will run from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. We will need to be there for set up by 8:30 a.m. We need to develop a plan of what we will be teaching and who will lead us. We will need to decide what we will do for lunch for ourselves and maybe we can have a discussion as to how we think the class went. Marcella is in charge of the groundwork for the class and she is being helped by Rachenea. I'm sure if you have any ideas for them they will be grateful. Class size is limited to 10 with ages from 10 and up. Sign up is required.

We had a couple show and tells:



Martha presented this beauty. The colors are just stunning.


Martha also showed this kitty wall hanging.




Chris P. took the pockets off pairs of her husbands worn out jeans and embroidered
these Christmas designs on them. 

See you at the next workshop and meeting!

Chris











December 8, 2016

Sorry this is later than usual. Since the last post we've had Hometown Holidays and our Christmas party happenings. At the Hometown Holidays, we had a good turnout.




We were at the Firelands Ambulance building this year and the crowd was a good one. We did in total $175.00 in sales and for our quilt raffle proceeds for the year were $389.00 total. That's without any deductions for batting, sashing material, backing and quilting. Our quilt raffle winner was Monica Davidson, she was quite excited.


At our Christmas party/meeting we discussed a few ideas for next year. We've decided to take a year off for quilt raffles as we have funds to see us through the next year. Each year we give the church a monetary donation for letting us use their fellowship hall for our meetings plus these funds are used for any projects we may do as a service project. One thing that was discussed was to have a variety of quilt sizes on hand in case there is a family in need.

In January we will be  a starting a BOM. Pat Cole is in charge of this project. You will need to attend meetings to get the next month's block to be completed and shown at the next month's meeting. The blocks will be themed according to month presented. We will also pass out the paper piece block pattern for our signature block exchange in December 2017. You will need to prepare scraps of fabric of your color choice for each person who is participating. Come to the meetings to get more details.

 We will also be contacting the New Haven Methodist Church to see when would be a good date to have a small quilt show. Details later.

The meeting was short so we could enjoy the good food that we all brought. There was only
one show and tell and that was by Rachenea.


This is a coloring book Rachenea had as a little girl and she did a couple wall hangings
depicting the cover for her girls.




She is one talented lady!


See you in January!

Chris








November 10, 2016

Happy November quilters! This was our last regular meeting for 2016. There are no more workshops scheduled for this year. Workshops will start again on January 28, 2017. At this last meeting we covered many events coming up.

First up we have the Hometown Holidays on December 3rd. We will start setting up at 8:00 a.m. at the New London Ambulance building. The show runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. If you have any additional items to be sold, bring them at this time. The work schedule is as follows:

9:00 - 11:00 a.m.            Pat & Chris P.
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.    Martha & Rachenea
1:00 - 3:00 p.m.              Marlene & Jean
Pack up                           Yvonne & Marcia

If you need to change your times, please let me know.

Our Christmas potluck will be on December 8th starting at 6:00 p.m. at the church. So far we have the following food coming: beef stroganoff, cheese ball, cheese tray, dessert, pasta salad, vegetable tray. If you plan on coming and haven't signed up for a dish, let me know what you are bringing so we don't have any duplicates. Or course no workshop in December because of the holidays.

New officers will take over at the first meeting of 2017 on January 12th. Elected were Pres. Chris Porter, V. Pres. Marcia Letterly, Secretary Martha Hecock, Treasurer Marcia Letterly & Yvonne Westover, facebook/blog coordinator Chris Porter, media coordinator Marlene Stevens. We will be having a demonstration on embellishing our projects by Marcella. She will be providing supplies but you may need to bring needles, thread or other notions. Stay tuned here for an updated list.  I will also send out an e-mail with the list. We will also pass out the paper piece block for our Christmas exchange for 2017. This is a friendship signature block. Each member will provide enough fabric in their color choice to complete this block. You will need to place this fabric in a ziploc baggie and write your name on the outside. Each member will provide enough for each member that is participating. For example if there are 5 members participating, including yourself, you would need to provide 4 bags (you wouldn't need one for yourself). There will also be a BOM pattern passed out at each meeting during the year. Pat is working on this project. You will have to attend meetings to receive your block for that month.

At the first workshop on January 28th we will begin to prepare packets of fabric for the beginner's sewing class in April. We are still working on Teen Challenge quilts too.

We need demonstrations for our February and March meetings. If you have a particular technique that you like to do, please share it with us at one of these meetings. It can even be just a refresher course or maybe you know of a better way to cut or piece. At the workshops for these months we will be working on coordinating fabrics and getting things lined up for the beginners sewing class on April 29th. We will be teaching a basic 9 patch from cutting fabrics to piecing them together. Also basic machine care. We already have some interest shown in attending.

In May we were planning on having a quilt show at the New Haven Methodist church. I will contact them to see if they are still interested.

We had one show and tell and it was special:

This quilt, called "Sprial Geese", was a pattern from a friend Marlene met in Alaska. The friend was making this quilt with her group and sent the pattern to Marlene. Marlene wanted to make it from her scraps, but wanted to make it different from her friend. So in the sashing. she embroidered this poem by Rachel Lyman Fields that spoke what Marlene was thinking. She also added embroidered leaves, sun and other fall motifs along with the poem. It was just gorgeous. 

'Something told the wild geese it was time to go, 
Though the fields lay golden something whispered, snow.
Leaves were green and stirring, berries luster-glossed, but beneath warm feathers something cautioned - frost.
All the sagging orchards steamed with amber spice but each wild breast stiffened at remembered ice.
Something told the wild geese it was time to fly. 
Summer sun was on their wings, winter in their cry.'





Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Chris














October 13,2016

Cooler temp leads to fall weather. The leaves are changing, the air is crisp and fall is in the air. Fall is my favorite time of the year. The days can be quite warm, but the evenings are cool enough to have a fire in the fire pit. I love the leaves, pumpkins and everything fall. 

Here's what went on at our meeting last week.

We're changing the October 29th workshop to October 22nd with a sack lunch. Too many of us have conflicting schedules Halloween weekend. We will again be working on the Teen Challenge quilt and the wall hanging for the church. Teen Challenge is running low on quilts and we aren't sure how many residents they will be having graduate at the end of the program. We will continue to work on these until further notice. If you have any 2 1/2" strips you need to get out of your stash and are looking for some mindless sewing, stitch up some 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" bricks, end to end, 14 to a row with 2 1/2" strips of alike fabric on either side, making a set of 3 rows.  The quilt needs to have 14 of these sets sewn side by side to make it the size needed. If you have any projects in mind for us to work on next year at our workshops, please let us know. We can work on both projects at our workshops.

Officer elections will highlight our November 10th meeting. If you would like to hold an office, speak up. These offices are President, Vice Pres., Treasurer, Secretary, publicity and media officer and blog/facebook coordinator. We will also be signing up for our annual potluck Christmas party and Hometown Holidays work schedule and pricing any items that have been brought in during the last year.

No workshop in November due to the Thanksgiving holiday.

December 3rd is Hometown Holidays. We will have a table set up in the ambulance building this year. There was some confusion when I contacted who I thought was in charge of booking the Hileman Building and no one could give me a straight answer. CIC thought Community Club was in charge and Community Club said they aren't. That's why the change in location. We have items that need to be priced as I mentioned in the paragraph for our November 10th meeting.  We are also thinking of having a "free" basket for items no longer wanted such as books, patterns, small items or fabrics.  You can still bring things in for this event. Small items sell best and they don't have to necessarily be holiday items or sewn/quilted items.

Christmas potluck will be on December 8th starting at 6:00 p.m. We were going to purchase items for a sewing kit to be given out at our beginners sewing class in April instead of having a gift exchange. But we found a sewing kit by Singer for much less than we could purchase everything available in these kits. These sewing kits will be purchased from our guild funds. So if you donated money for these kits you will get that back. 

No workshop in December, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Wow, now we come to 2017. New officers will take over at our January 5th regular meeting. Marcella has volunteered to do a demonstration on embellishments and will bring supplies needed. Keep watch here in case other things are needed like needles, thread or other supplies. January 28th will be the workshop meeting, we will start to prepare fabrics for our sewing class members.

Ditto for February 9th and March 9th regular meetings and February 25th and March 25th workshops. April 13th regular meeting we will make final decisions for our sewing class on April 29th.

For the beginners sewing class on April 29th the class will run from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. We will need to be there for set up by 8:30 a.m.  We will need to decide what we will do for lunch for ourselves and maybe we can have a discussion as to how we think the class went. Marcella is in charge of the groundwork for the class and she is being helped by Rachenea. I'm sure if you have any ideas for them they will be grateful. Class size is limited to 10 with ages from 10 and up. Sign up is required.

In May we will be doing a quilt show at the New Haven Methodist Church, date is to be determined as of now. It will be a small show and will coincide with their swiss steak dinner on a Saturday and will probably be an late afternoon/early evening show. This will be a great way for us to possibly get some new members and make new friends. 

Here are a couple of show and tells.


Marcella has just finished this quilt after "storing" it for the last 10 years.
Congratulations, it's beatiful!


This little table topper was started and donated to our guild.
Marcia took it home and finished the embroidery, hand quilted it, backed and bound it.


A Five and Dime quilt in Christmas fabrics was used as a
demonstration by Chris P. It was quilted with a poinsettia pattern,
even though it doesn't show up here very well


Little scarecrows hold hands across this table runner
by Chris P. 


Log cabins in the middle and wool pumpkins grace the
ends of this fall table runner by Chris P.


See you next time!
Chris


September 8, 2016

Hi everyone!

Can you believe it???? September is here and we only have 2 regular meetings, 2 workshops and our Christmas party left for 2016?  Where has this last year gone?!

At our meeting on September 8th we covered our schedule for the rest of the year. Our September workshop on the 24th, we will be continuing to work on a Teen Challenge quilt we have started. We will also be working on a wall hanging we would like to present to the Alliance church to thank them for letting us use their facilities. They have been such great hosts and have welcomed us with open arms. Lunch wasn't discussed so we will go with a brown bag lunch again. Chris P. did a demonstration on the Five and Dime method and ruler from Kansas Troubles. It's another way of using precuts. Here's a link to a video on Missouri Star Quilt Company's youtube channel. 

For the October 13th regular meeting, you will need to bring your machine and tools so Marlene can show us how to paper piece a block. Next year we will be doing a paper piece signature block for our Christmas gift exchange in 2017. We will be giving out more information after the first of the year. You will need to sign up if you want to participate. The more people we have participate, the more blocks you will receive.

October 29th workshop will again find us finishing up on the Teen Challenge quilt and the wall hanging for the church. If you have any projects in mind for us to work on next year at our workshops, please let us know.

Officer elections will highlight our November 10th meeting. If you would like to hold an office, speak up. These offices are President, Vice Pres., Treasurer, Secretary, publicity and media officer and website/facebook coordinator. We will also be signing up for our annual potluck Christmas party and Hometown Holidays work schedule and pricing any items that have been brought in during the last year.

No workshop in November due to the Thanksgiving holiday.

December 3rd is Hometown Holidays. We will have a table set up at the Hileman Building in the New London Recreation Park. We have items that need to be priced as I mentioned in the last paragraph. You can still bring things in for this event. Small items sell best and they don't have to necessarily holiday items or sewn/quilted items.

Christmas potluck will be on the 8th starting at 6:00 p.m. Marlene and Marcella will be purchasing items to be made into sewing kits for our gift exchange idea this year. It was decided everyone would chip in $20.00 if possible. Whatever is left over will be divided between anyone who chipped in. These kits will be given out to anyone who takes our beginner sewing class at the workshop on April 29, 2017,

No workshop in December, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Wow, now we come to 2017. New officers will take over where we left off. January 5th regular meeting needs someone to do a demonstration. It doesn't have to be a long demonstration. It can be a ruler, template, technique or anything you find interesting. Workshop on January 28th we will start on the sewing kits for the beginners sewing class along with any fabric that needs to be cut.

Ditto for February and March regular meetings and workshops. April regular meeting we will make final decisions for our sewing class on April 29th.

For the beginners sewing class on April 29th the class will run from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. We will need to be there for set up by 8:30 a.m. and quit time has yet to be determined. We will need to decide what we will do for lunch for ourselves and maybe we can have a discussion as to how we think the class went. Marcella is in charge of the groundwork for the class and she is being helped by Rachenea. I'm sure if you have any ideas for them they will be grateful. Class size is limited to 10 with ages from 10 and up. Sign up is required.

In May we will be doing a quilt show at the New Haven Methodist Church, date is to be determined as of now. It will be a small show and will coincide with their swiss steak dinner on a Saturday and will probably be an evening show. This will be a great way for us to possibly get some new members and make new friends.

We had a couple show and tells.


This is a Teen Challenge quilt done by Yvonne. The large strips reminds me of sherbet!


Here's a sweet little sailboat by Martha.


Rachenea brought in 2 pillow cases that were embroidered by her great, great
grandmother on flour sacks. Those would be a real treasure!

That's all until next time. Hope everyone can make the meetings for the rest of the year. If you haven't been for a while, we've missed you!

Chris









August 11,2016

Hey everyone! We had a very short meeting this week. Here's what we covered:

August 27th is our next workshop. We are still working on quilts for Teen Challenge. We have one almost done. If you have any 2 1/2" strips that are just taking up space in your sewing area and you don't know what to do with them, bring them along, we can always use them. Or you can cut them into 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" bricks and sew them end to end beforehand and bring them. We also need 2 strips 2 1/2" x 85" to make up the outside of the strip set, preferably from the same fabrics. Luncheon will be your own brown bag.

September 8th is a regular meeting. If you would like to to a demo or a small project, let me know soon so I can send out a list of materials needed. Same goes for the October 13 regular meeting and November 10th regular meeting.

Speaking of the November 10th meeting, this is the meeting when we have officer elections for 2017. If you are interested in taking over an office, speak up, don't be shy! There will be no workshop in November because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

December 3rd is Hometown Holidays. We will be having a table set up at the Hileman Building this year. We need volunteers to work. 2 at a time will be sufficient. We will also have our quilt drawing at the end of the day. We have some items left from the last couple of years, but we can always use more small projects. They don't have to be holiday themed, anything theme will do.

Our Christmas party will be on December 8th. This is a potluck, we will pass out a list at the November meeting to sign up. Our gift exchange will be a little different this year. Since we are planning on doing a beginning sewing class at our April 29th workshop, it was decided that our gift exchange will be sewing kits we can hand out to whoever attends this class. It doesn't have to be a large kit, just the basics in some kind of container, bag or holder.

Regarding the beginning sewing class, we need someone to be in charge of what project we will be doing as a teaching tool, supply lists and getting the word out to the local papers. We will all be there to help teach, but we need someone to get the ball rolling. We had a couple members say they would help whoever volunteers to be in charge, so that's a start.

We had no show and tells this week. It's going to be rainy off and on this week, hopefully we'll have some finished projects by next time.

See you at the next workshop!

Chris